Trade Plates are special registration plates obtained by motor traders/repairers in order to transport vehicles on the road which may not yet have been registered or taxed. To apply for a Trade Plate you must have a Garage Code. The uses of these plates by motor traders/repairers are restricted to legitimate uses in connection with the motor trade. They are issued for a period of 1 calendar year. To apply for a Trade Plate, you will need:
- Application fully completed i.e.
– Garage Code – applicant must be a registered motor dealer / garage with the Department of Transport, Shannon, Co. Clare
– VAT number (or RSI / PPS Number if liable for income tax instead of VAT) .
– Rate Account number
– Premises Rateable Valuation
- Copy of Motor Trader Insurance Policy must be attached to application
|Category of Vehicle
|Initial Trade Licence/Plate
|Replacement Trade Licence/Plate
Motor Cycle only
€59 (single plate)
€38 (single plate)
All other vehicles
€353 (pair of plates)
€86 (pair of plates)
To apply for a garage code, please contact the Department of Transport in Shannon, Co. Clare to apply for same.
Please note that Trade Plates will only be available from December of the preceding year (e.g. trade plates for 2018 will be available to Garages from December 2017)